Monday, June 06, 2005

Call to Creativity

So far so good with the Evil Empire. Business was slow at the shop today, but I did get a lot done. I got some of the utilities straightened out, established myself a bank account, renewed my driver's license, updated the registration on Der Ogremobile, bought meat, ordered potatoes, and most importantly made some evil plans.

Okay, I'm sending out a challenge to all my friends and family. I'm considering redecorating/reimaging Union Jack's into a more nautical/world theme. I don't want to get corny like Skipper's or the dozens of other rather ugly fish chains out there, but I want to bring about an atmosphere of "could be anywhere in the world, so long as it's comfortable". What I need from everyone is suggestions on items of decor as well as a better slogan to go with the name on the signs and menus. The previous owners had "Eat Good, Leave Happy", but frankly that strikes me as a "don't go 'way mad, just go 'way" kind of thing. The current window image/logo is of a redcoated Royal Guardsman kind of fellow, but I'm also trying to think of something to replace him with, perhaps a nice ship. Anyway, anyone have any ideas?

In the meantime, my goals for this week include getting the utilities straightened out, settling the tax people's hash if possible, getting the faucet on the handwashing sink replaced, and giving the kitchen a nice deep cleaning before we invite the health department to come inspect the joint. I'd also like to pick up the oven I'm buying and stash it in the spare room until we can get the gas lines ready to plug it into... Also, tomorrow morning Kayleen and I embark on a truly interesting project - draining and cleaning the fryer. Owning your own business is glamorous and fun, kiddies, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

6 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger Thom said...

"Eat good, leave happy"

Yikes, the grammar's not even correct! And yes, I don't think it's a good idea to accept dwarves in barter for your good food. ;-)

You have summoned the repressed interior decorator in me. Do you have a floor-plan/wall-plan of the space to be decorated? And what sort of things do you have on your menu?

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ask Denise - she is really good. I add a little flair that is accepted from time to time, but she is the master. (and if you ask her, she will say she hires an interior decorator, which is true, but Denise did my office and it looks good and nautical.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Benneducci said...

No, I don't have a floor plan, I just have a lot of more or less bare walls painted white and avocado. As for the menu, it consists of fish & chips, roast meat sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, fries, and a couple different dessert items. Eventually (if I *ever* get settled in and used to this idea) I'll be adding some kind of breakfast menu and/or an expanded dessert variety.

Frankly, though, my overal mindset is akin to Thom's was - "Are you out of your freaking mind?" I'm more or less fine when I'm there and working, but the rest of my day is spent in a full-on nervous panic. This is definitely the bravest thing I've done in my life, but frankly, it also feels like the stupidest. Maybe I'll eventually settle in and grow some confidence, but frankly right now I'd give it all back if there were any way to do so... As it is, I'm wondering how long it'll take for me to run it into the ground and waste all the money Mom is investing in me...

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a challenge! I'm with you in thinking a nice schooner or tall ship (maybe flying the Union Jack) would be nice for the window.

I'll give it some thought. As you may know, my own place is rather full of lighthouses. Anything along that line sound intriguing? I could also probably clue you into a place to order sea shells and nautical items wholesale, if that's something you're interested in.

Don't give up the ship. I'd be more concerned if you weren't having some "What have I done?!" moments. The fact that you are shows that you're not living in fantasy land, which is important when running a business.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Benneducci said...

Seashells not so cool, but other nautical items would definitely be interesting. Right now Kayleen and I are tossing around the idea of some kind of fabric swags to run along the tops of some of the walls, to break up the monotony. A couple nice ship and/or lighthouse pictures would be good, as well as some nice prints/paintings of interesting places or people...

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there. Every job has the initial terror that lasts a few months. I am finally starting to settle into my job. You're doing fine! Don't worry so much about things and do what they taught you in school. Unless the place is really ugly, you may be money ahead to advertise first and redecorate second. Get the income coming in takes good food and people coming in the door. The decor just doesn't have to be repulsive. (This is my uneducated opinion, so it is probably worth every penny you're not paying for it :-) ) Keep it up, bro. Nothing worth having is easy. You're doing fine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home