Saturday, May 27, 2006

Avast, Matey!

Well, it finally happened. I got out my Pirates of the Spanish Main set (which I mentioned on here a looooong time ago) and challenged my brother Dan into a game. His kinderlings Jonathan and Caitlin joined us, and we held forth on a merry four-way battle. It was a complete and utter blast, and when Dan tells his wife that it's nearly done for the better part of an hour, you know he's having fun. Jonathan was the first to go down, having first made a pact with Dan concerning some disabled ship and then breaking it. Revenge of the Daddy can be cruel indeed. I, on the other hand, went after Caitlin. She fought valiantly, but my lightning slash attacks left the entire board severely afraid of a little three-masted schooner named Boston - even when there were mighty five-masters around. Gotta love the combination of speed, daring, and good cannon rolls.

Caitlin for some reason decided I was a threat, probably when I pounded one of her ships into submission and left it stranded on an island for the rest of the game. She managed to fight back and capture one of mine, but a fierce retaliation managed to sink the captured ship before she could tow it back, then tangled the rest of her fleet up in a nasty little battle that I eventually won. In the meantime Dan finished wiping out Jonathan, then at Caitlin's urging sent his fleet in my direction. His ships were heavier, so I finished fixing up Caitlin's boats and made ready to use my maneuverability and the nearby islands in my defense. The final showdown was in its first stages with me at the advantage when finally Denise reclaimed her family. We did a quick count-up of the points, and Dan won 71 to 67. If I'd been able to count my own ship that I sank, it would have been different, but fair's fair. And I quite probably would have lost the big battle anyway.

Anyhoo, this is probably the best fun I've had doing anything with Dan in a long time. I'm hoping that someday I can get up to Boise so we can get Thom into a game of PotSM with us. With the sheer amounts of table space available at Dan's house, we could very well spend a whole day rampaging all over each other... Ahhhrrrr!

1 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Blogger Benneducci said...

Ah well, live and learn. Or die and learn. Whatever thrills you... Did some more playing over the holiday, and the Boston still reigns supreme. Devoured Quenton's fleet whole.

So, if you bought all the packs at Shopko, I guess I'd better wait a few days for them to restock before I go buy some...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home