Thursday, September 01, 2005

Teeming Hordes of Doom

High school is in, and the flocks are descending. Every day at around 12:50 we get a horde of kids from the school, and they've only got until 1:30 to tank up on fat and sugar, make a lot of noise, and rearrange most of the chairs in my shop. Fortunately, we're getting the system down so that we can get their orders organized and out at a reasonable speed; at least today was pretty successful in that aspect. Still, we're going to be taking on more help for that one hour.

This is not something I want to gloat over exactly, but I think I will file it under "Interesting Ironies". Today I just hired a grad student to come be our drinks runner. She wandered in Tuesday to grab an application, came back yesterday to return it and get interviewed, and today we determined beyond the shadow of a doubt that we need her services. She'll be putting in one hour a day, but according to her what she mainly needs is a reason to leave her apartment and encounter the human race on a regular basis. We're a lot of things at Union Jack's, and human is probably one of them.

Anyway, we're still not quite at the profit line this week, but business is up. The school crowd will most likely keep us running at capacity during that period, and maybe once Labor Day is past then we'll be seeing enough other lunch business to pull us over the line. Don't set ducks on it yet, but I'm also tossing around the idea of a dinner shift three nights a week. It wouldn't raise our costs much, but the question is how popular it would be and whether or not I could take the stress of it. I'd also need to get a cook for that shift, as there's no way Mom could handle night and day both... Anyway, it's something to think about, not to decide on right now... For now, my priorities are to get through the rest of the week, decide whether I want to do the market this week or not, and find something to fill out my Labor Day Weekend that will recharge my soul batteries... I'm feeling kinda low at the moment.

4 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Benneducci said...

Oh, and it turns out Big Gary's has opened again, under the mangement of our Pepsi rep's wife. Oh well, it's not like I have the capacity to feed the whole high school anyway...

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Far out blogg.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Thom said...

"We're a lot of things at Union Jack's, and human is probably one of them."

I like it! Sounds like a good business slogan to me! ;-)

Glad to hear the Teeming Hordes are teeming in the right direction.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy to hear business has picked up. I hope it continues to increase. Big sigh of relief, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home