Tuesday, August 09, 2005

All My Base....Are Belong To Someone Else

This week is becoming one whammy after another. Business is down, waay down. "Why did we bother opening" down. Also, Monday the people we've been pestering about installing our stove checked out our gas pipes and informed us that they're most likely too small to run any more equipment. Then today Mom showed me the figures, the last two months the shop has been hemorraging money. We can make changes and hopefully cut some costs, but unless business gets up a lot higher than it's been, it's not going to be worth it. We're looking forward to school opening with desperate hope in our eyes. At least I am, Mom and Dad are taking this better than I am. Of course, maybe that's because they can afford to lose money betting on me. I can't.

Who knows, I might feel better about it if I could say that any of this was my fault. I've been giving it my best shot, it's just that the business just hasn't been there. I hate the idea of failing because of circumstances beyond my control. Yeah, yeah, I know, hang in there things will get better. It's a nice theory, but I have my doubts.

Anyway, in another week or so Kayleen is leaving to work for the school district again. At least someone's gonna come out of this better...

2 Comments:

At 9:48 PM, Blogger Thom said...

Well, you're half right. Hang in there, but not necessarily because it will get better but because once school starts you should get a better idea of whether or not you ever stood a chance or if you're a victim of the former owners' questionable bookkeeping.

So hang in there, because if you pack it in now you'll never know, and that one lesson could be the most important thing to come away with from this.

Of course to have things turn around would be much, much better, and if'n ya don't mind, that's where I'll be applying my prayers.

 
At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with them. I know it's hard to feel optomistic right now, but you knew going into it that the summer would be the slow time for you. Everything I've ever heard about having your own business says that it takes time to get it going. I'm sure it feels like you've been doing it a long time already, but two and a half months is not really very long. If your backers aren't panicking about the bottom line yet, I don't think you should either. You know that Mom's careful with money, so if she's not telling you to give up, then hang in there.

Like Dan says, you've got some family resources you can go to for advice and ideas. You've got one brother who's an MBA, and another who has a some experience running his own business. I'll be the cheerleading department.

We're behind you, so don't back up! I don't want to be squished!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home